Forumotion Hub
Hello and welcome to Forumotion Hub! You're either not registered or logged in. Please do so in order to be able to join in with our awesome discussions and to disable adverts!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Forumotion Hub
Hello and welcome to Forumotion Hub! You're either not registered or logged in. Please do so in order to be able to join in with our awesome discussions and to disable adverts!
Forumotion Hub
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Forumotion Hub

The official hub of Forumotion users! A very relaxed forum, dedicated to having lots of fun!

Welcome to Forumotion Hub! Enjoy your stay here!
Did you know that this forum was made on the last day of 2011?
Base is your supreme overlord on this forum, you will bow down to him!
Don't be shy to join in with our discussions, everyone is welcome!
You can now follow us on Twitter @Basixation

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Base?
Guide to: Proper Punctuation EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 pm by Ange Tuteur

» General Nonsense Thread
Guide to: Proper Punctuation EmptySat Jul 16, 2016 4:31 pm by Ange Tuteur

» Anime?
Guide to: Proper Punctuation EmptySat Apr 30, 2016 10:26 pm by Ange Tuteur

» December 2014 - The Future and Xmas
Guide to: Proper Punctuation EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 8:27 am by Dazation

» This or that?
Guide to: Proper Punctuation EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 11:57 am by Ange Tuteur

» Count to 2020 before 2020
Guide to: Proper Punctuation EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 11:50 am by Ange Tuteur

» What's your time?
Guide to: Proper Punctuation EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 11:45 am by Ange Tuteur

» Count to 2015 before 2015
Guide to: Proper Punctuation EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 11:43 am by Ange Tuteur

» Do you have any disabilities?
Guide to: Proper Punctuation EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 4:32 pm by Ange Tuteur

Statistics
We have 64 registered users
The newest registered user is bryangr50

Our users have posted a total of 3641 messages in 218 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 256 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:28 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Guide to: Proper Punctuation Empty Guide to: Proper Punctuation Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Jordan

Jordan
FMHubster
FMHubster
Guide to: Proper Punctuation
All you need to know to write a story

The idea of storywriting may seem daunting and you may be unable to think up some ideas for an interesting, attention-grabbing story. However, before you consider writing stories by the masses, you should consider reading my guide on Proper Punctuation. Proper Punctuation refers to the way you write your sentences. In this guide, I will explain to you the easiest and most effective methods to use when writing a story.

Ending the Sentence

Whilst writing a story, it becomes apparent how hard it is to find the perfect time to stop the sentence. Always aim to grab the attention of the reader in one sentence. It is most popularly used when describing the looks of characters, and the need to continue the sentence in order to describe the character is required.

What to do when describing a character

She was a tall, beautiful women with blazing blue eyes. Her hair was of silky blonde texture and her face was angelic.

What NOT to do when describing a character

She was a tall beautiful women with blazing blue eyes and her hair was of silky blonde texture and her face was angelic.

NOTE how in the second example, there are too many ANDs in it. Too many of one word is boring and uncreative. Always end your sentence when it feels right. Instead of typing 'AND' between "blue eyes" and "her hair", put a period (or full stop) instead. It makes it (a) a lot neater and (b) easier and more attention-grabbing to the reader.

Commas

Commas are a great way to separate but not end the sentence. It is vital that you use these whenever possible as they lengthen every sentence you put them in. Below are TWO examples which will help you define the usefulness of commas.

Using Periods (Full Stops)

My vision blurred by the smoke around me. But the faint outline of a tall-standing man was still visible. He was approaching me.

Using Commas

My vision blurred by the smoke around me, but the faint outline of a tall-standing man was still visible, he was approaching me.

See? So much more effective! Commas are so attention-grabbing. They allow the reader to read on to fully engage in the situation transcribed in your story and further imagine it in their head. By doing this, you are sure to get a lot of readers interested.

Fancy words

Fancy words are by far the greatest way to attract your readers. People love fancy words, it's a well-known fact! When typing, think of (or search up on http://thesaurus.com ) for alternate words. For example, when writing a discussion, you ALWAYS want to use a different selection of words.

An example of fancy words

"You know that's dangerous," said Nathan, staring abruptly down the abyss, "We should leave while we still can!"

"Not until we find what we're looking for!" muttered Jordan, on a small stone ledge ever so slowly to avoid falling down the long, dark crevasse, "You can turn back, but I'm not leaving!"

Hopefully my guide helped you, and I will do my best to improve it within the near future, when and if I get the time. Please be sure to read my other guides when they are released, and to also direct yourself to the rules of this category if you have not yet done so.

Do not reproduce this without prior permission from the author. If you wish to post this, please PM me to gain acceptance and ALWAYS credit me in the article.

2Guide to: Proper Punctuation Empty Re: Guide to: Proper Punctuation Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:44 am

Shanna

Shanna
FMHubster
FMHubster
That is a really great article Jordan.

Certainly I could learn a lot from this. For a Medical Administrator, my spelling, grammar and punctuation leaves a lot to be desired at times.

Last edited by Shanna on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Offtopic ramblings...gone now :D)

3Guide to: Proper Punctuation Empty Re: Guide to: Proper Punctuation Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:55 am

Jordan

Jordan
FMHubster
FMHubster
Not at all, thanks for the kind words.

4Guide to: Proper Punctuation Empty Re: Guide to: Proper Punctuation Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:45 am

Apple_Remixer

Apple_Remixer
FMHubster
FMHubster
Great Article Smile

http://onepieceriseandfall.forumotion.com

5Guide to: Proper Punctuation Empty Re: Guide to: Proper Punctuation Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:47 am

Jordan

Jordan
FMHubster
FMHubster
Apple_Remixer wrote:Great Article Smile

Thanks! Hope it helped Wink

6Guide to: Proper Punctuation Empty Re: Guide to: Proper Punctuation Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Coddy

Coddy
FMHubster
FMHubster
OH, great article Jordan. Love it! Very Happy

http://lforum.forum2x2.net/

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum